DEVELOPMENT OFFICER, FUND DEVELOPMENT
START DATE: Starting immediately
Since 1987, Phoenix has been dedicated to supporting youth and contributing to a vibrant community. Phoenix’s eleven locations in Halifax, N.S. provide a continuum of care for youth aged 11-24 and their families. Our team of caring professionals recognizes that each person who comes to us has individual needs as well as strengths. People are the leaders in their own lives; Phoenix is a leader in supporting them.
Phoenix serves hundreds of youth who collectively offer great diversity to the organization. To better serve the youth we aim to reflect their diversity in our staff contingent. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for youth and staff. We welcome applications from individuals from equity seeking groups such as racialized/visible minorities, Indigenous/Aboriginal peoples, persons with disability, persons who identify in the 2SLGBTQIA+ community and others who reflect the diversity of our Nova Scotia communities. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications and merit; however, we encourage self-identification and pronoun introduction on either your covering letter or resume.
Job Summary: Reporting to the Director of Development, the Development Officer will manage and broaden a portfolio of key Phoenix donors and partners through effective cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities. Working closely with the Fund Development team, the Development Officer is responsible for developing tailored strategies to deepen current and create new relationships, and will contribute to the ongoing management, implementation, and evaluation of the fundraising strategic plan to meet the growing financial need of Phoenix.
Compensation: $50,000-$60,000 annual salary (based on qualifications and experience), comprehensive group medical insurance plan, Employee and Family Assistance Program, RRSP contribution, three weeks of vacation in the first year and four in the second, generous sick leave, a generous paid holiday schedule, in-house trainings, and professional development opportunities.
Hours of Work: Generally, Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. with flexibility and evening work required based on activity requirements.
Location: Flexible with remote and in-person- Spring Garden Road, Halifax.
Reports to: Director of Development, Fund Development.
Screening Requirements: Due to the sensitive nature of our work with youth, this position is subject to a satisfactory criminal record check including a vulnerable sector search, a child abuse register check and proof of education.
As an integral member of the Fund Development team, the Development Officer will:
- Contribute to the assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of major gifts fundraising activities.
- Support Phoenix signature events through revenue generation, including sponsorship.
- Build and sustain relationships with donors and partners.
- Prepare and deliver high quality proposals, presentations and other communications materials for major gift prospects, donors, and sponsors.
- Engage and mobilize senior volunteers to support fundraising initiatives.
- Provide donor stewardship through impact reporting, tours, and hosting meetings, in addition to fulfilling stewardship plans as set forth for major donors.
- Commit to continued learning and growth.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal and written skills.
- Resourceful and flexible with an ability to work both collaboratively and independently.
- Comfortable with networking and has a natural ability to build meaningful relationships.
- Excellent understanding of the issues surrounding confidentiality and a high level of integrity.
- Understanding of youth social justice issues.
- Openness and commitment to ongoing learning.
- Access to a vehicle is an asset as the ability to travel in HRM and beyond is a necessity, (once it is safe to do so).
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- A combination of education and experience in the non-profit fundraising environment.
- A minimum of 3-5 years of fund development experience.
- Demonstrated success in moves management and securing gifts at a major gifts level considered an asset.
- Comfort with Raiser’s Edge considered an asset.
TO APPLY: * Please note that interviews may take place during the posting period.
Please forward a resume and a cover letter (in Word or as a PDF document) with pertinent information about your qualifications by Thursday September 23rd, 2021, at 11:59pm (ADT) to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Development Officer”.