ACCOUNTS PAYABLE AND DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR, FUND DEVELOPMENT & FINANCE
START DATE: JANUARY 2022
Since 1987, Phoenix has been dedicated to supporting youth and contributing to a vibrant community. Phoenix’s eleven locations in Halifax, N.S. provide a continuum of care for youth aged 11-24 and their families. Our team of caring professionals recognizes that each person who comes to us has individual needs as well as strengths. People are the leaders in their own lives; Phoenix is a leader in supporting them.
A staff group that represents the diversity of the people and communities we serve is of the utmost importance. Phoenix is committed to reducing barriers to employment and career growth that have traditionally impacted members from the following groups, African Nova Scotians, Indigenous People, and Other Racially Visible Persons, Members of the 2SLGBTQIA+ Community, and Persons with Disabilities. If you are a member of one of these equity-seeking groups, you are encouraged to self-identify in your cover letter or your resume. We would also appreciate if you would share your pronouns in your cover letter or your resume.
Job Summary: Working closely with both the Fund Development team and the Finance team, this position provides accounting and administrative support through both the Accounts Payable portfolio and the ongoing maintenance of the donor database (Raiser’s Edge). Activities include but are not limited to: gift receipting and thank you letter production, financial reporting, donor prospecting activities, data entry, reconciling, and processing invoices. Tasks such as petty cash and expense report reconciliation are also required in this role.
Compensation: A competitive salary, comprehensive group medical insurance plan, Employee and Family Assistance Program, RRSP contribution, generous vacation, generous sick leave, a generous paid holiday schedule, in-house trainings, and professional development opportunities.
Hours of Work: Monday – Friday, 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. with flexibility and evening work required based on activity requirements
Location: 5880 Spring Garden Road
Reports to: Both Director of Development and Finance Director
Screening Requirements: Due to the sensitive nature of our work with youth, this position is subject to a satisfactory criminal record check, a child abuse register check and proof of education.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for paying vendors, preparing reports with lists of payments weekly, reconciling vendor accounts, and responding to all vendor inquiries in a timely manner.
- Responsible for the processing of donations to the agency facilitated by the use of various giving platforms (online, direct debit, e-transfers, etc.)
- Maintain the integrity of donor information, including the timely preparation of tax receipts and thank you letters/packages in strict accordance with CRA guidelines.
- Obtaining appropriate approval of all external invoices and internal expense claims and entering them into accounting database in a timely manner to meet month end and year end deadlines.
- Generate reports and queries to support the reconciliation and reporting needs of the agency.
- Responsible for problem solving any related discrepancies as required.
- Experience with preparation of journal entries and month end and year end close would be an asset.
- Other tasks as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND OTHER REQUIREMENTS:
- A high level of integrity, attention to detail and sound judgement to handle confidential materials and situations with sensitivity and discretion.
- Ability to problem solve and make decisions within the scope of the work involved.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work with a variety of stakeholders.
- High level of competency in MS Office, databases, and accounting software.
- Ability to work both independently and in team environment, and to prioritize workload to ensure deadlines are met.
- Understanding of social justice issues.
- Dedication and openness to continuous learning.
- This position is subject to a criminal record check, vulnerable sector search, child abuse register check and proof of education.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Graduate of a recognized post-secondary undergraduate or community college Business program, with a focus on accounting, or equivalent work-related experience.
- Minimum 2 years’ experience working in an Accounts Payable /Finance environment.
- Attention to detail, and proficient in the use of Microsoft Office, including pivot tables is a necessity.
- Quick Books accounting software experience would be an asset.
- An understanding of charitable law would be considered and asset.
- Experience with CRMs (ideally Raiser’s Edge) and/or experience working in a non-profit an asset.
As Phoenix continues to provide in-person programs and services during the COVID-19 pandemic, we have an obligation to maintain a safe environment for our staff, volunteers, student placements, and the youth, families, and community members we work with. Phoenix firmly believes a vaccinated population is a vital part of keeping us, our youth, families, and communities protected from COVID-19 and the developing, fast-moving variants. Please be aware that Phoenix Youth Programs requires all employees, volunteers and student placements working at any of our Phoenix locations to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, (subject to specific exemptions regarding health or human rights issues).
TO APPLY: * Please note that interviews may take place during the posting period.
Please forward a resume and a cover letter (in Word or as a PDF document) with pertinent information about your qualifications by Thursday, January 20th, 2022, at 11:59pm (ADT) to:
firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Accounts Payable, Database Administrator”.